If you have some musical talent and are looking to channel your Christian faith into lyrics and music, it can be hard to know where to begin. Taking that first step on your songwriting journey can be intimidating, but it will be rewarding as well. Don’t let doubt stop you from expressing your God-given creativity.
Brian Overton is a Christian Contemporary Musician and Co-Worship Leader. Passionate about Contemporary Christian Music, Brian blends his musical talents with his devotion to the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Today he shares his top tips for beginner Christian songwriters and musicians.
- Get inspiration from many different varieties of music. Even within the Christian genre, there are so many different types of music to listen to. The beautiful thing about being a songwriter and musician is that you add your own unique perspective and voice to whatever genre you choose to be in. When a song really speaks to you, break down the different parts and figure out what you love about it.
- Understand the basics. Music theory, reading sheet music, scales, chord progression, etc, are all really important building blocks for creating new music. You can learn a lot of these things for free online.
- Keep a songwriting notebook with you for when inspiration strikes so you can work out all your ideas with pen and paper.
- Experiment with different methods of songwriting. You don’t need to write out a song from beginning to end in order every time. You could write the music first, then come up with lyrics later, start from the middle, or use different instruments. There are no rules, just get creative.
- Imagery and storytelling are very powerful tools within music. As a Christian songwriter, you can get endless inspiration from Bible stories.
- Most importantly, remember to write from the heart and soul. Speak your truth as a Christian and channel your faith into your creative practice.