If you are either new to songwriting, or you are just in a creative rut, you might be struggling to find inspiration to write your music. Everyone goes through artist blocks at some point in their life, and it is nothing that you can not work through.
- Take a break. If you are trying to force yourself to write music when the lyrics just aren’t coming to you, sometimes the best thing you can do is to just stop and go do something else for a while.
- Take a walk, put your headphone on, and listen to either your favorite music or music that you have never listened to before. Some light exercise in nature can actually help make people more creative, and listening to some good tunes will give you inspiration.
- Take in other forms of media. Watch a good movie, read a book, or go to an art museum. Something you find might just give you that spark of inspiration. Reading Bible stories can be an excellent catalyst for coming up with powerful song lyrics.
- Refresh your space. Whether you are working in a studio or out of your bedroom, clutter in your space leads to clutter in your mind. Spend some time organizing everything so you can feel more relaxed.
- Get into a creative habit. Every day, set aside some time to create anything. Put no judgment on whatever it is that you make. Creativity begets creativity.
- Don’t work alone. If you have other musician friends, try and work on something together. Sometimes all it takes is a second set of eyes and ears on something.